Monday, July 9, 2012

sarajevo living: film fest.

One of the things I have been most excited for this summer in Sarajevo has been the Sarajevo Film Festival. Since the time that I arrived I have seen these posters and signs advertising the festival everywhere. Seriously - they are everywhere.


   






 




I originally bought 5 tickets, knowing that I would probably buy more. I actually missed my first movie (Ice Age 4 - we were rafting at the time) but have made it to 2 others since then: The Amazing Spiderman (which was awesome) and The Boy Who Was a King (which was a really weird documentary that's up for an award here). Today I bought 2 more tickets (Redemption Street - about the War Crimes Tribunal - and The Intouchables - a French comedy?) to go along with the 2 tickets I have left for Whore's Glory and Brave this weekend.




The design is made up of "The Heart of Sarajevo" in different colors. It's the symbol of the Film Festival and is also the award given out each year for the best film and sometimes to individuals who have made a difference as an honorary award (Angelina Jolie last year). It is a significant symbol here in Sarajevo.


The "Red Carpet" - where Angelina and all the stars walk - unfortunately I was gone the day it opened so I missed all of them :(





All in all - this is a pretty awesome experience to be a part of. The Sarajevo Film Festival was founded during the siege (and was a big deal with major turnout despite everything going on) and has continued since then. It's one of the largest film festivals in Europe and is the largest in the Balkans. It's a really big deal. I'm just happy to be here in Sarajevo - especially when amazing cultural things are happening.


And of course I had to get a couple of souvenirs. Seeing the design everywhere just made me fall in love.



No comments:

Post a Comment